[glue-wg] new service type requests

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Tue Dec 13 04:42:02 EST 2016

Hi David,

On 12/12/16 16:02, david.meredith at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> -          “org.onedata.onezone”  - Onezone is a Onedata component
> responsible for connecting multiple storage providers with installed
> Oneprovider component into federations of storage providers

This seems good.

> -          “com.aws.s3”  - S3 is a storage API

I'm wondering whether this would be better as an InterfaceName_t.

S3 is a network protocol that different implementations support.  In
principal, an implementation could support multiple object store
protocols (e.g., CDMI, S3, Swift, ..).  For example, there are S3
gateways that use a Swift object-store; such a service could expose a
Swift and S3 endpoints.

To my mind, a Service with service_t of com.aws.s3 would indicate
Amazon's S3 service, or someone deploying the software Amazon is using.

> -          “com.ceph.object-storage” - Object store, see http://ceph.com

In contrast to S3, the Ceph protocol is tightly under Ceph's (now
RedHat's) control, with applications achieving compatibility through the
use of libradios.

Therefore, this as a service_t makes perfect sense.

HTH,

Paul.