[glue-wg] uk.ac.gridpp.vcycle added

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 15 06:46:09 EDT 2015

Meredith, David (STFC,DL,SC) said:
> Or, for ease here are the details:
> +"ServiceType_t","uk.ac.gridpp.vcycle","Vcycle manages the lifecycle of
> VMs running jobs on cloud resources for LHCb, ATLAS, CMS, and GridPP
> DIRAC VMs.","Recommended",,
> +"ServiceType_t","uk.ac.gridpp.vac","A virtual machine factory system
> for operating clusters at grid sites","Recommended",,

I don't think that's enough to be sure, at least for me. The basic point is that a ServiceType identifies the entirety of a service, rather than a component or aspect of one. I remember how vac started off but I don't know how it has evolved since - is it now an entire computing service as an alternative to e.g. CREAM or ARC? GLUE ServiceTypes are unique, a given service can only have one, unlike the GOC DB.