[glue-wg] OSG dropping GLUE?

Maria Alandes Pradillo Maria.Alandes.Pradillo at cern.ch
Tue May 12 03:36:05 EDT 2015

Dear Paul,

> The support period for various dCache versions (2.6.x through to 2.9.x) is about
> to run out.  I've done what I can to make this "well known"; however, there are
> still ~40% of sites running a version that will run out of support in less than a
> month.

We have the MW Officer in WLCG who is responsible for maintaining the MW baseline publishing what MW versions sys admins should be deploying at their sites. We can also advertise this type of information in our Operations meetings. Please, use these channels as they are intended for this purpose. You don´t need to spend time on this. As you may already know, Andrea Manzi is the MW Officer, please, get in touch with him.

Anyway, it´s indeed a pity that the contact email of a site is not properly published in the BDII, but I think we need to choose the battles where we want to fight, and especially knowing now that US CMS has plans to get rid of any dependency on the BDII, I´m personally not going to spend any effort to get those fixed.

Having said that, we are in touch with OSG so that any possible plan to deprecate the BDII on their side is properly announced and planned, so users know what to expect from the Information System.

> Of course, I'm in favour of the validator :-)  However, there's a technical issue
> and a deeper problem here.
>
> The technical issue is that OSG currently publishes only GLUE 1.3, so the GLUE
> 2.0 validator will not detect any problems.

Exactly, glue-validator is only validating GLUE 2 information, and therefore OSG sites are not validated.

> The deeper issue here is whether sites (or OSG in general) agree to fix problems.
> If GGUS tickets describing problems are always closed with WONT_FIX then it
> doesn't matter whether the problem is discovered by an individual or by the
> validator.

If the use case is important enough, I´m sure they will be happy to fix the problem. But as I said before, there are other means to reach sites to make sure they are not running obsolete versions of the MW.

Regards,
Maria