[glue-wg] Cloud extensions

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Fri Aug 28 09:56:50 EDT 2015

Hi Alan,

On 28/08/15 14:40, Sill, Alan wrote:
> While I think it is worth exploring new paradigms in this area, it is
> definitely the case that the EGI Federated Cloud makes explicit
> mention of using GLUE in all of its public talks, so keeping
> discussion and support going with them in this area would seem to be
> a good idea.

For what it's worth, the INDIGO-DataCloud project also includes explicit
mention of GLUE in their design documents.

I hope the approaches EGI and INDIGO-DataCloud take for service discover
can be sufficiently similar that we can use the same cloud extensions
within GLUE.

> More troubling to me is that the Open Science Grid has apparently
> abandoned use of BDII and seems to be going in a new direction for
> its related tasks. OGF's role and interest in these areas is always
> just to provide a forum and arena to document and to encourage
> exchange of information among participants on best practices and
> methods, including development and support of standards where
> appropriate.
 >
> Is a discussion underway with OSG about its needs and current
> approach? Can we understand what led them to stop using BDII and GLUE
> (or did I misunderstand their current approach and get this wrong)?
>
> At a somewhat higher level, should we restart or recommission a
> community or working group to look at overall practices in this area,
> with a focus on new technologies?

I think it would be good to attempt this, but I'm unsure how successful
it will be.  This move away from GLUE apparently took people within WLCG
by surprise, but OSG people claimed they have been planning this for years.

Certainly there's been a disconnect here: GLUE 2.0 was developed to
overcome deficiencies in GLUE 1.3, yet a major user decided to abandon
GLUE altogether rather than move.

Cheers,

Paul.