[glue-wg] Cloud extensions

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Fri Aug 28 08:40:34 EDT 2015

While I think it is worth exploring new paradigms in this area, it is definitely the case that the EGI Federated Cloud makes explicit mention of using GLUE in all of its public talks, so keeping discussion and support going with them in this area would seem to be a good idea.

More troubling to me is that the Open Science Grid has apparently abandoned use of BDII and seems to be going in a new direction for its related tasks. OGF's role and interest in these areas is always just to provide a forum and arena to document and to encourage exchange of information among participants on best practices and methods, including development and support of standards where appropriate.

Is a discussion underway with OSG about its needs and current approach? Can we understand what led them to stop using BDII and GLUE (or did I misunderstand their current approach and get this wrong)?

At a somewhat higher level, should we restart or recommission a community or working group to look at overall practices in this area, with a focus on new technologies?

Alan