[glue-wg] When is data stale?

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Mon Apr 20 14:03:53 EDT 2015

Hi JP,

On 20/04/15 15:45, JP Navarro wrote:
> So slow changing information, such as ApplicationsEnvironment, may
> have long Validity and we would want the information to be considered
> valid even during an extended outage, even though during normal
> operations it might be refreshed hourly.

OK, but why is ApplicationsEnvironment slow-changing?

With cloud environments and technologies like VMCatcher, it's possible
for sites to acquire new potential applications environment very quickly
and often.

I'm still wondering whether there really are "intrinsic" Validity
values, as Stephen seems to suggests.

> The lack of clarify in the spec leads me to believe that we should
> produce a best practice on setting Validity based on an agreed to set
> of use cases (what behaviors we want to be able to support based on
> Validity values).

I think this is a good idea -- I mentioned this in a different scope: as
a "processing model" document.

In general such a document would describe how information gets into
GLUE-2 (which seems to be lacking in GLUE-2).  It would also describe
CreationTime and Validity and what expectations exist (if any) on
clients when processing the information.

HTH,

Paul.