[glue-wg] new servcie types

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Fri Sep 26 12:32:51 EDT 2014

Hi David, all

I am very busy in this time of the year so I will come back to this very
late in time, sorry about it.

In principle I agree with the comments Paul and Stephen expressed.

Cheers,
Florido

On 2014-09-24 13:36, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
>> A service is normally distinguished by having an endpoint through which
>> a client can interact with it.  For this reason, Service objects are
>> normally servers, not clients.  What you describe sounds like client
>> software for interacting with SLURM: i.e., the software installed on
>> some machines that lets one submit jobs into a SURLM-managed batch
>> system.
>
> Yes, I thought the same. The GOC DB has some things which are just property tags, which don't really correspond to services in the glue sense, and this may be one of them.
>
>> If so, it sounds a bit like a EGI UI machine: how do we publish these
>> currently?
>
> I don't think UIs are defined, but VO boxes are and they are somewhat similar. However, those are machines which provide access to a bundle of client software and other things (e.g. CAs and CRLs), not just a single client.
>
> Stephen

 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli