[glue-wg] new servcie types

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 07:36:38 EDT 2014

Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> A service is normally distinguished by having an endpoint through which
> a client can interact with it.  For this reason, Service objects are
> normally servers, not clients.  What you describe sounds like client
> software for interacting with SLURM: i.e., the software installed on
> some machines that lets one submit jobs into a SURLM-managed batch
> system.

Yes, I thought the same. The GOC DB has some things which are just property tags, which don't really correspond to services in the glue sense, and this may be one of them.

> If so, it sounds a bit like a EGI UI machine: how do we publish these
> currently?

I don't think UIs are defined, but VO boxes are and they are somewhat similar. However, those are machines which provide access to a bundle of client software and other things (e.g. CAs and CRLs), not just a single client.