[glue-wg] Call for minor non-distruptive updates to GLUE 2.0

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Mon Sep 8 09:13:28 EDT 2014

Hi all,

On 02/09/14 17:45, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Somewhere on the web site there should be a list of errata, we should
> at least incorporate those. It seems to be here:
>
> https://redmine.ogf.org/projects/glue-wg/wiki/Errata

These seem mostly straight-forward.

However, looking at the list I noticed a problem that could ("should"?)
be fixed with 2.1.  The TrustedCA description says:

     "Alternatively this may identify a standard
     bundle of accepted CAs, e.g. those
     accredited by the IGTF"

There's a couple of problems here:

   1.	"those accredited by the IGTF" is not a single set:
	IGTF has several different profiles; SLCS, MICS, IOTA
	and HLCA.

   2.	The document doesn't say *how* to describe that it is IGTF,
	or anything else, for that matter.

I suggest we:

   1.	create a registry where people can add CA bundle along
	with some canonical name,

   2.    Get rid of the IGTF example (it doesn't help),

   3.	Add a comment/link/description of the registry to
	the description.

> The EGI GLUE 2 profile defines various OtherInfo attributes. Many of
> those will be project-specific, but it would be worth reviewing them
> to see if any seem generic enough to be promoted to real attributes.

Sounds reasonable.

Off the top of my head, the one describing which profiles are supported
should go in.

Stephen, could you post a list of these OtherInfo or send a link to the
EGI profile document (for those of us who don't have it to-hand).

> In particular any new attributes (or relations) in existing objects
> must be optional.

Agreed.

>> #3. Add to EndpointHealthState_t (closed enumeration) a state named
>> "downtime", this would be much simpler to signal current downtime
>> status to the users or cloud brokers than via the DowntimeStart/End
>> times.
>
> I would suggest that if you want a simple flag it would be better to
> introduce a new Boolean attribute to indicate whether a service is
> down, or perhaps an enumeration like up/down/atrisk (or indeed align
> it with the GOC DB usage). Downtime is logically different to the
> HealthState, at least as used in EGI - indeed if it weren't the
> existing "closed" state would be sufficient.

Don't we already support advertising downtime?  Endpoint already has
DowntimeStart and DowntimeEnd.

If we want to be consistent with GOCDB, we could add "at risk"
properties, similar to the current downtime properties.

HTH,

Paul.