[glue-wg] Call for minor non-distruptive updates to GLUE 2.0

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Sep 2 11:45:16 EDT 2014

Salvatore Pinto [mailto:salvatore.pinto at egi.eu] said:
> since we are going to revision GLUE 2.0 to GLUE 2.1, I would like to ask the mailing list to point me to some changes which, in your opinion, should
> be incorporated in this revision. I will collect these changes and then organize a discussion for the GLUE WG meetings.

Somewhere on the web site there should be a list of errata, we should at least incorporate those. It seems to be here:

https://redmine.ogf.org/projects/glue-wg/wiki/Errata

The EGI GLUE 2 profile defines various OtherInfo attributes. Many of those will be project-specific, but it would be worth reviewing them to see if any seem generic enough to be promoted to real attributes. It's also possible that some of the text comments could usefully be added to the main document, but it would be quite a bit of work to go through them.

https://documents.egi.eu/public/ShowDocument?docid=1324

> Changes submitted shall be NOT-DISTRUPTIVE and ensure full retro-compatibilty with GLUE 2.0.

In particular any new attributes (or relations) in existing objects must be optional.

>  #3. Add to EndpointHealthState_t (closed enumeration) a state named "downtime", this would be much simpler to signal current downtime
> status to the users or cloud brokers than via the DowntimeStart/End times.

I would suggest that if you want a simple flag it would be better to introduce a new Boolean attribute to indicate whether a service is down, or perhaps an enumeration like up/down/atrisk (or indeed align it with the GOC DB usage). Downtime is logically different to the HealthState, at least as used in EGI - indeed if it weren't the existing "closed" state would be sufficient.

> #4. Add GPU resources to the Execution Environment. This can be important for the EGI-ENGAGE and other sister projects in H2020, were we are
> planning to integrate GPGPU computing in both Cloud and Grid.

That's a good idea, but quite a substantial thing in itself!