[glue-wg] glue2 cloud examples

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Sat May 3 06:53:37 EDT 2014

Warren Smith [mailto:wsmith at tacc.utexas.edu] said:
> Yep, we couldn't define a GLUE 3 in a short amount of time.

I'd like to reiterate that I think any idea of a GLUE 3 is a red herring. For one thing I don't see any reason for it, in the sense of there being problems that can't be solved within the GLUE 2 framework. Secondly I think the timescale is prohibitive - GLUE 2 took 2.5 years to define and another 3-4 years to implement. Thirdly, at least EGI and WLCG no longer have any effort to engage with such a thing, so if other projects follow that route they'll lose the interoperability that was the main goal of GLUE. If you really don't want to use GLUE 2 I'd suggest that you just define your own schema, which you could presumably do a lot faster.

> However, I'm not really for formalizing what you've described as GLUE
> 2.1. If we want to make it an official new version of GLUE, I would
> push to use the existing GLUE 2 entities wherever possible and just use
> the extension points in those entities instead of defining new entities
> (as I did in my approach).

Again I think the issue is interoperability. EGI could certainly go ahead and define its own extended GLUE 2 and use it within the project, but then you lose the standardisation that comes with the OGF. Conversely, if the WG wants to have something standard then it needs to be a GLUE 2.1 that goes through the official process.