[glue-wg] New Endpoint and Service types

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Wed Mar 5 13:45:44 EST 2014

Hi Maria,

On 2014-03-05 16:47, Maria Alandes Pradillo wrote:
> Hi Florido,
>
>>> Maria Alandes Pradillo [mailto:Maria.Alandes.Pradillo at cern.ch]
>>>
>>> I think these do need some more discussion ...

>> isn't it possible to assign an organization do DPM? I know nothing
>> about it.
>>
>> org.<organizationname>.dpm?
>
> Like for example org.cern.dpm? If this type of syntax is needed,
> please let me know and I will ask my DPM colleagues.

if it's developed by cern, yes that would be perfect. This organization
name were a way to remember who to ask in case of future changes.

>>> xroot has already been discussed extensively and we made a
>>> decision - I think
>> the decision was to use "xroot" for the protocol name but we should
>> check.
>>>
>>> For webdav I think the "org." prefix isn't adding much here -
>>> probably we
>> should just use "webdav" as it's a well-known protocol defined in
>> an RFC so there's no issue of a name clash, but there may be other
>> views. Anyway there are likely to be other interested parties -
>> dcache at least - who should express a view.
>>>

>> I agree with Stephen, if there is no organization it doens't make
>> sense to have 'org.' there. If it's a simple standard webdav
>> interface, it's perfect to have only webdav there.
>>
>> But I also wonder what is the type of such interfacenames -- it
>> seems to me that these two should be in Endpoint.Technology
>> instead. The name of the interface should be something like
>> org.<organizationname>.webdavenhanced if it's not just plain
>> webdav
>>
>> If that is not enough then you should look into capabilities for
>> EMI-ES and craft proper ones, like:
>>
>> data.transfer.xrootd data.transfer.webdav
>
> I don´t have the answer to these questions since I´m not a Data
> Management expert. Is the WG normally following up this type of
> things with the relevant experts? Or how do you normally proceed to
> take a decision?

We have no defined procedure as I never had the time to write it down.
This is just the way I think things should be wrt my understanding of
how GLUE2 should be used by consumers.
The WG usually discusses such matters on this mailing list.

Cheers,
Florido

 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli