[glue-wg] VOTE by 8/1: GLUE 2.1 for describing cloud resources?

Maria Alandes Pradillo Maria.Alandes.Pradillo at cern.ch
Fri Aug 1 04:18:04 EDT 2014

Dear Salvatore,

> > But the cloud info provider is not running in the site BDII, this is running in the
> resource BDII of the cloud resources, right?
> ehm... no, it is running at the site BDII, contacting the resource remotely using
> the resource native APIs... see
> https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/Fedclouds_BDII_instructions for more information.

But then you are putting a dependency on the site BDII. Or do you expect site BDIIs publishing cloud resources to do these "manual" steps? The model in the BDII is that resources run the info providers they need to publish the information that it is required and then this is propagated in a hierarchical way to site BDIIs and top BDIIs by using the ldap info providers. What you are now doing is to run the info provider in the site BDII. Is this to avoid installing a resource BDII in the cloud resources?

> ok, if I understand well, you propose to go with the following phases:
>    1. Update the schema package
>    2. Update the Top-BDIIs (only the ones used by the FedCloud are
> required) and the clients to support 2.1 and then fall back to 2.0.
>    3. Produce an update of the cloud-info-provider script, which requires the
> GLUE2 schema update, and start publish the information in
>    4. (optional, in the end) Update the clients to support only 2.1
>
> My only problem is how, during #2, we can test that everything works if we have
> site BDIIs publishing 2.1 (as per #3). But maybe we can define some test sites
> who will publish information in both 2.1 and 2.0 during phase #2.

I think this is really up to you. I think either case is fine (2.0 and 2.1 coexist vs only 2.1), as long as you know what your clients are consuming to avoid getting a duplication of resources because they are published in both 2.0 and 2.1.

Regards,
Maria