[glue-wg] VOTE by 8/1: GLUE 2.1 for describing cloud resources?

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Fri Aug 1 04:09:29 EDT 2014

Hi Salvatore,

On 2014-08-01 09:46, Salvatore Pinto wrote:
> Hi Florido,
> if ARC or other middleware providers uses this information, do you think
> there is the chance that 2.1 could be recognized as an invalid version
> and thus we will need to update the ARC and cloud middleware providers
> as well?

ARC will just do things in such a way that the information is always
published according to the schema installed in the system. There will be
no need for update. I am resposnible for that piece of code.

So far we don't have any cloud extension to ARC, that is, there is no
current plan to publish cloud objects. It might happen in the future,
but this we discuss once we have a working schema. Obviously if the
system where ARC runs ships GLUE2 LDAP schema 2.0, cloud objects will
just be dropped.

I don't know about the cloud middleware providers. It all depends on how
they use this info.

Cheers,
Florido

> Cheers,
>   Salvatore.
>
> On 31/07/2014 18:15, Florido Paganelli wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On 2014-07-31 17:38, Maarten.Litmaath at cern.ch wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>> [...]
>>> Since only the BDII version is published today, the easiest way is to
>>> increase its version number, unfortunately.  At the same time we may
>>> want to consider publishing the schema version explicitly.
>>>
>> I'd like to remind that since I took over the LDAP schema
>> I introduced a version field in the file for the purposes detailed above:
>>
>>> grep -A12 '00-Version.schema' /etc/ldap/schema/GLUE20.schema
>> # File:    schema/00-Version.schema
>> # Doc:     GLUE Specification 2.0 (March 3, 2009)
>> # Section: - Version file
>> # Authors: Laurence Field (laurence.field at cern.ch), CERN
>> #          David Horat (david.horat at cern.ch), CERN
>> #          Florido Paganelli (florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se), Lund
>> University
>> #
>> #
>> # Schema Version: 2.0
>> # Last updated: 2014-07-02
>> #
>>
>> ARC already used this information to do certain things with the LDAP
>> tree.
>>
>> I read somewhere that there might be smarter ways to do this, for example
>> telling the LDAP server itself and perform a special query on the schema,
>> but these are not implemented and usually badly documented.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Florido

 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli