[glue-wg] glue2 cloud examples

Warren Smith wsmith at tacc.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:12:34 EDT 2014

One thing I forgot to mention is that going forward, I think a good approach for us to take would be to do something similar to what Salvatore is proposing, but do it across the board. What I mean is that we should abstract the existing entities a little bit and then add entities that are more specialized/concrete. This would allow us to include specialized information in the schema and also provide entities with names that others understand at a glance (if I have to explain what a ComputingActivity/Manager/Service/Share is one more time... :-P). It'll also allow us do any little cleanup changes we've come across in the current schema.

A few quick examples about how this could be done:

current ComputingShare:
    * create ClusterQueue entity that is a specialization of ComputingShare
    * create CloudAvailabilityZone entity that is a specialization of ComputingShare?
    * create CloudTenant entity that is a specialization of ComputingShare (and other entities)
    * change attribute names containing 'Jobs' to 'Activities'
    * move 'MappingQueue', '*Slots', '*WaitingTime' to ClusterQueue entity

current ComputingActivity:
    * create ClusterJob specialization
    * create GridJob specialization (e.g. a job managed by a grid resource manager/scheduler)
    * create CloudInstance specialization
    * move Local* attributes to GridJob
    * move WaitingPosition to ClusterJob and GridJob
    * delete ComputingManager*
    * move ProxyExpirationTime to GridJob

current ExecutionEnvironment:
    * create ClusterNode specialization (also used for physical nodes in clouds)
    * create CloudFlavor specialization
    * remove VirtualMachine attribute
    * move TotalInstances, UnavailableInstances to ClusterNode

I think this will be relatively straightforward to do for the computing and storage entities.

I guess what I'm proposing/asking is if we are talking about making nontrivial changes to the schema, why don't we just start work on GLUE 3.0?

Warren