[glue-wg] Enumerations for DPM and related InterfaceNames was: Re: New Endpoint and Service types

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Fri Apr 4 06:55:34 EDT 2014

Hi Maarten,

Answers inline

On 2014-04-04 12:27, Maarten Litmaath wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>>> On behalf of the DPM team, could you please also consider adding:
>>>
>>> - "DPM" to ServiceType
>>
>> the group would like to have an organization name. It has been decided
>> that if there is no organization name, then one can fallback to the
>> group reserver organization name, that can be used for orphan projects.
>>
>> therefore we suggest:
>>
>>    org.ogf.glue.dpm
>>
>> What do people think about this?
>
> Stephen already pointed out that a "DPM" _ServiceType_ does not make sense,
> unless someone else can also implement their own version of "DPM"!
>
> DPM is a _product_ that implements various services (data storage,
> management
> and access), each accessible through one or more protocols (SRM,
> GridFTP, ...).

Thanks for pointing this out, now I read Stephen's comment on that and I
actually disagree.

I might end up being pedantic, but I think that what a GLUE2
ServiceType_t is about IS identifying a service.

Also ARC A-REX is a product that offers job submission interfaces
supporting various protocols, and information systems interfaces
supporting various standards. Nevertheless it is a service as a whole.

Maybe words are used in a bad way, but if we stick to the definition in
GFD.147:

  An abstracted, logical view of actual software components that parti-
  cipate in the creation of an entity providing one or more
  functionalities useful in a Grid Environment. [...]

If we go to the StorageService definition:

  An abstracted, logical view of actual software components that parti-
  cipate in the creation of a storage capability in Grid Environment
  [...]

If we look at the list of ServiceType_t in GFD.147, chapter B.31,
you'll se that the third-level names there area all product names.

So, if Stephen thinks that we should see dCache and DPM as a single
Storage ServiceType_t, I can now say that I don't think we should.

If the capabilities are the same, then discovery should be done on
capabilities and NOT ServiceType_t IMHO. But this I said in many other
various emails.

I think the real problem here is that I didn't figure out what this DPM
thing is. Nobody sent a description. Nobody sent a link to relevant
documentation. If you know about this, please help me understanding this
better.

Cheers,
Florido
 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Location: Fysikum, Hus B, Rum B313
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli