[glue-wg] No audio

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Thu Sep 26 10:57:21 EDT 2013

Hi JP,

On 2013-09-26 16:35, JP Navarro wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2013, at 7:32 AM, Florido Paganelli
> <florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se> wrote:
>
>> I just think that it was a good idea, and some implementations that
>> we nowadays have rely on that, so I don't manage to understand why
>> it sounds that we want to *remove* it if it had been used.
>
> Again.  To "Rely on (DIT)" does NOT mean it's necessary in the
> rendering specification.
>
> Can you answer these questions?

I can, I however need to stress that today these questions you ask me
are about an imaginary world in my mind and not about reality. Since I
cannot predict the future I can evaluate on what I know about the past.

> 1) could different federation adopt our GLUE2 LDAP rendering
> specification with different DITs where users can discover
> information across federations (two separate LDAP queries)?

yes, but integrity of information is delegated to the client.
Reason: No structure on the served documents means that all associations
and relation between GLUE2 entities have to be computed by the
client(s). The clients have to build their own database themselves.
On the other hand it will happen for XML with the flat structure, so
we're at least consistent on this side :)

> 2) could these federations cross-aggregate their LDAP information
> given different DITs?  I assume they would need to know each other's
> DITs to know injection points (one perspective is that this is an
> operational issue and not a LDAP specification issue).

My istinctive answer would be no, but I'll smooth it to "hardly".
Reason: We're still having problems within ARC and gLite after years of
operation... even after the integration effort the architectures are
having troubles agreeing on things. But maybe it's just the two of us.
Interestingly, some of the issues are also on several attribute values,
not just the DIT.

But I guess these answers were obvious on my side, especially the second
one is the whole reason why I do care about this.

I'd like to hear other people's opinion on these.

Cheers,
Florido
 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - NorduGrid Collaboration
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se
 Homepage: http://www.hep.lu.se/staff/paganelli