[glue-wg] Extending GLUE 2.0 for Cloud services

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Mon Nov 4 12:15:36 EST 2013

Hi Salvatore,

On 04/11/13 13:58, Salvatore Pinto wrote:
> The first proposed draft is attached. We would really appreciate your
> comments and maybe to add a point for discussion in the next WG meeting.

Thanks for posting the document.

I haven't really gone through it in detail, so these are just some
initial observations.

First, it looks like you have inserted the word "Cloud" as a prefix to
every class in the document.  This isn't an extension, but a complete
rewrite!

Second, GLUE 2 contains extension points to allow communities to gain
experience with new information without requiring the change of LDAP (or
other) schemas on deployment machines.  If you haven't already got
operational experience of the cloud extensions then you really should
consider using these extension points first.

Third, some of the objects show no additional information beyond the
existing GLUE 2.0 definitions; for example, the
CloudStorageAccessProtocol seems identical (from memory) to the
StorageAccessProtocol.

Fourth, the inheritance model seems broken.  Many classes show
considerable overlap with their non-Cloud equivalents:
CloudStorageServiceCapacity has TotalSize, FreeSize, etc, but also
StoredObjects.  As the cloud versions do not extend from the non-Cloud
classes, a publishing system would have to publish twice as many objects
(the Cloud ones and the non-Cloud ones).

NB that inheritance isn't the solution to this problem; rather, you
should have non-overlapping attributes.

Fifth, have you considered what is current state-of-art within the cloud
ecosystem?  Talking specifically about storage, you should look at what
already exists.  In particular, CDMI provides a standards-based
interface for interacting with cloud storage.  It includes specific
metadata about a storage system.  I suggest you look at this metadata as
a source of inspiration.  NB. I'm NOT suggesting you copy all the
metadata from CDMI into GLUE 2!

Finally, please be careful that any additional publishing fits in with
existing storage systems.  Grid and cloud are not two mutually exclusive
worlds; with dCache, for example, we have software where a single
storage instance can provide both grid- and cloud-like storage.  It
should be possible for such systems to publish themselves without
doubling the number of objects.

HTH,

Paul.