[glue-wg] Platform_t

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Wed Jun 12 09:37:29 EDT 2013

Hi Stephen,

These days I am updating InterfaceName_t and Capability_t, and I also
got an email from Maria regarding OSFamily_t.

I think we should benefit of some of the choices made within EGI and
your profile and try to integrate them in official documents.

For some of these items there was never a formal decision, so for me
adding those you mentioned is perfectly fine.

You can see the progress on

  https://github.com/OGF-GLUE/Enumerations

I am in for discussing every change or addition of any sort.

I plan to put InterfaceName_t by the end of the week, then given the
attention I will do OSFamily and Platform.

Cheers,
Florido

On 06/12/13 14:47, stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Platform_t enumerated type is supposed to represent the CPU architecture. The values currently in the schema doc were probably defined when we first started working on it in 2007 and I don't think they've ever received much attention. For GLUE 1 our current recommendations for the analogous attribute are here:
>
> https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/HOWTO06
>
> which are slightly different, notably we use x86_64 for what is now our standard architecture (Xeon 64-bit) and also i686 for the 32-bit Xeon. These are being carried over into the GLUE 2 publication:
>
> ldapsearch -x -h lcg-bdii.cern.ch -p 2170 -b o=glue objectclass=GLUE2ExecutionEnvironment | grep Platform: | sort | uniq -c
>      25 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: amd64
>      16 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: i686
>       5 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: UNDEFINEDVALUE
>       1 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: x84_64
>     356 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: x86_64
>       1 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: x86_84
>
> (Two typos there ...) I guess the simplest thing is to add those values to the list, but do we want to review it? In particular I guess the phi could well do with a new type, and we may also want to think about GPUs.
>
> Stephen
>
> PS Is there any progress on the storage of the lists of enumerated types in a downloadable format?

 Florido Paganelli
   ARC Middleware Developer - EMI Project
   System Administrator
 Lund University
 Department of Physics
 Division of Particle Physics
 BOX118
 221 00 Lund
 Office Tel: 046-2220272
 Email: florido.paganelli at REMOVE_THIShep.lu.se