[glue-wg] Platform_t

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 12 08:47:49 EDT 2013

Hi,

The Platform_t enumerated type is supposed to represent the CPU architecture. The values currently in the schema doc were probably defined when we first started working on it in 2007 and I don't think they've ever received much attention. For GLUE 1 our current recommendations for the analogous attribute are here:

https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/HOWTO06

which are slightly different, notably we use x86_64 for what is now our standard architecture (Xeon 64-bit) and also i686 for the 32-bit Xeon. These are being carried over into the GLUE 2 publication:

ldapsearch -x -h lcg-bdii.cern.ch -p 2170 -b o=glue objectclass=GLUE2ExecutionEnvironment | grep Platform: | sort | uniq -c
     25 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: amd64
     16 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: i686
      5 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: UNDEFINEDVALUE
      1 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: x84_64
    356 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: x86_64
      1 GLUE2ExecutionEnvironmentPlatform: x86_84

(Two typos there ...) I guess the simplest thing is to add those values to the list, but do we want to review it? In particular I guess the phi could well do with a new type, and we may also want to think about GPUs.

Stephen

PS Is there any progress on the storage of the lists of enumerated types in a downloadable format?