[glue-wg] new SE type requests

david.meredith at stfc.ac.uk david.meredith at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 11:52:14 EST 2013

Dear WG,
GOCDB has received the following service type requests.  Now, for the sake of compatibility, it would be best if we can on agree these values with the Glue2 enum list:

*         'xrootd'

*         'xrootd.redirector'  -  A component of the XRootD suite.

*         'ch.cern.cvmfs.stratum.0'

*         'ch.cern.cvmfs.stratum.1'   - http://cernvm.cern.ch/portal/filesystem

A couple of questions:

1)      cvmfs types - are these acceptable?
2)      WRT the xrootd I understand that "xroot" was decided upon in Glue2 rather than "xrootd" since xroot is the protocol name and xrootd is the server.  However, the requestors of the xrootd service types strongly prefer 'xrootd' since they need to determine the exact implementation which matters to them. Now, I realise that the 'EndpointImplementationName' is meant for that purpose, but GOCDB doesn't support glue2 (yet) and to be pragmatic, I expect many dependent systems within EGI will still require a single SE type list for a long time to come yet.  Therefore, what are your recommendations?  Would it be possible to un-deprecate the 'xrootd' SE type in the GLUE2 list or should we consider this only as a GOCDB SE type?

Thanks in advance,
David
https://github.com/OGF-GLUE/Enumerations/blob/master/ServiceType_t.csv

David Meredith