[glue-wg] Endpoint.TrustedCA and ComputingEndpoint.TrustedCA Inconsistency in GFD147

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Nov 2 06:09:21 EDT 2012

Florido Paganelli [mailto:florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se] said:
> I don't like this approach of "definition by needs".

This seems to be our fundamental difference of opinion, I would say that the *only* criterion is definition by needs. Our main incentive to make GLUE 2 at all was precisely that GLUE 1 was too inflexible and didn't allow enough adaptation as needs changed, so we defined a structure which would make it much easier to redefine or extend the usage without needing a schema change.

> In don't get the point. Since you claim that such information is not used, I
> don't understand why gLite publishes it at all.

Publishing nothing would be a possibility, but "IGTF" does describe the real situation - see the EGI documentation here:

https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/EGI_IGTF_Release

That opens the possibility of publishing additional CAs if necessary without having to repeat all the common information.

> Please explain how do gLite clients understand what are the TrustedCAs that
> such label represents, if they do. I'll be happy to produce any solution from
> that.

As I said, currently glite clients don't do anything, they just assume that all CAs relevant to a given VO will be allowed if the VO itself is allowed, and that works due to the EGI (and EGEE and LCG) policies and the practice at the sites.