[glue-wg] entity references in XML

david.meredith at stfc.ac.uk david.meredith at stfc.ac.uk
Thu May 31 12:37:02 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,
In today's WG meeting we discussed the nested element approach VS the 'flat' element referencing approach to model associations in XML. While I don't want to introduce more complexity/options, I have worked on an unrelated schema in the past that may be worth a quick look by the WG. This schema gives you the choice of using both inline (nested) element definitions and/or element references to model relationships. Schema and sample doc at: http://tools.ngs.ac.uk/ngstools/glue2proposal/nestingAndElementReferencesSample.zip

This approach may be useful for the GLUE rendering: A single entity is never repeated. Rather, shared entities are referenced. This is similar to the teragrid <Entities> element (with "glue:ID_t" references). In addition, I think we may? need to introduce a new element bag akin to the teragrid <Entities> element so that all entities can be defined in a single document (as per Warren's use-case). For example, consider defining both a <UserDomain> and an unrelated <Service> in the same doc; currently this would not be possible without an abstract parent container element such as 'Entities[1]'.

([1]Note, the abstract element and substitution group proposal still holds, e.g. all the concrete elements listed as children of the 'Entities_t' could/should be replaced with corresponding abstract definitions which would facilitate future extension/profiling of that schema).

Cheers
David

David Meredith
Scientific Computing Technology