[glue-wg] Endpoints and ComputingService, relationships between services. Some thoughs

stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 07:38:46 EDT 2012

Etienne URBAH [mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr] said:
> It is easy to define 1 single Endpoint exposing 2 Services.

I think you mean 1 Service exposing 2 Endpoints - at least what you say is not true, one Endpoint can only belong to one Service.

> -  Any XML rendering having a presupposed hierarchy is a conceptual
> mistake.  Your example is a clear Use Case proving this.

I think the comment was about the object types rather than a structural hierarchy, i.e. that ComputingServices must have ComputingEndpoints (and StorageServices must have StorageEndpoints). I'm not 100% sure that was the right choice but it is the way it's defined, and I don't think it does any particular harm. For LDAP we did decide to change the way the references are named - in the original rendering we had things like GLUE2ComputingEndpointComputingServiceForeignKey, but we changed it to use the inherited reference GLUE2EndpointServiceForeignKey. However it's still true that the reference should point to an object with an objectclass of ComputingService if it comes from an object with an objectclass of ComputingEndpoint and vice versa.