[glue-wg] Endpoints and ComputingService, relationships between services. Some thoughs

Florido Paganelli florido.paganelli at hep.lu.se
Mon Aug 20 06:01:45 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I am in the situation that I would like to have a simple Endpoint
published within a ComputingService. However, besides UML inheritance
might allow this, the hierarchic xsd schema does not allow that, it only
allows ComputingEndpoints to be nested within ComputingServices.

I don't know it this is good or bad; for you to understand how I got
here, I can give you this little problem to solve:

Suppose the same machine hosts two RELATED services, that is, one needs
the other one for proper functionality. For example a delegation service
is needed to submit a job to a job execution service.

Is there a way for an information consumer to infer/understand this
relationship? Can a client understand that (1) the services are related
and (2) that they are running in the same machine just by looking at the
GLUE2 records?

One might think of associations, but it can easily be shown that they
don't solve the problem. We don't really have service-to-service
associations, just some kind of hierarchy between services.

What do you think?
--
Florido Paganelli
Lund University - Particle Physics