[glue-wg] Foreign Key implementation on GLUE 2.0 LDAPimplementation

David Horat david.horat at cern.ch
Thu Mar 26 04:39:15 CDT 2009

What is the difference between having a DN or an ID in objects?
Are objects going to be moved around so their DN will change but you want to
preserve that relationship?

When implementing relationships you need to know exactly where to look.
Although our IDs are specified as "A global Unique ID", LDAP has no way to
assure this as it uses the DN as its key. Moreover, when searching, as you
said, it uses the DN, so I don't see any advantages of using the ID instead
of the DN. So maybe I am skipping something in the middle. Maybe you can
explain me why you think this. :)

--
David Horat
Software Engineer specialized in Grid and Web technologies

http://davidhorat.com/
http://cern.ch/horat
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidhorat