[glue-wg] GLUE 2.0 SQL rendering meeting

Burke, S (Stephen) stephen.burke at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 07:23:57 CDT 2009

Hi,

OK, but I'm curious about where the performance hit comes from. After
all, in this approach you have more data in total (varchar(255) for all
attributes plus the attribute name), the tables are bigger (more rows)
and you'll have an extra overhead for e.g. string to integer conversion,
plus an extra component to the lookup to match the attribute name. The
only thing I can see that would go the other way would be simply the
total number of tables, but is that really something which makes a big
difference? And even if it does it may well depend on the database
technology used.

Stephen