[glue-wg] Invoking some magic: RDF, VO annotations and Grimoires

Balazs Konya balazs.konya at hep.lu.se
Mon May 19 04:40:40 CDT 2008

Hi Paul,

Paul Millar wrote:
> In a round-about way, I (re)discovered a project a friend mentioned a while
> ago, called "Grimoires":
> 	http://twiki.grimoires.org/bin/view/Grimoires/
>
> If you're not familiar with the project, it's basically registry that allows
> for service discovery, based on UDDI but allowing RDF (i.e., "semantic")
> annotations by multiple user communities.  This should allow different
> end-user communities to annotate a service in almost any way supported by
> RDF.
>
> Re-reading the page, I was struck by what Stephen said earlier about allowing
> user-communities to annotate GLUE information.
>
> The interesting part comes if all GLUE entities were cast as either a
> UDDI-registered service or as an annotation of a service.  It should be
> relatively easy for someone with some spare time hands (i.e., not me :) to
> map GLUE vocab. into RDF and allow GLUE-like publishing of information into a
> Grimoires server.  This would allow end-users to ask some nice queries,
> combining their "personal" metadata with GLUE information.
>
> There's another RDF project that hook into GT4: S-MDS.  IIRC, S-MDS maps the
> MDS information into a SPARQL end-point via some (fairly static) mapping
> rules.  I suspect it could be persuaded to ingest GLUE (in-band via MDS or
> out-of-band), but 3rd-party annotations would have to be out-of-band (unless
> they have write-access to MDS).  Whereas the Grimoires project seems to be a
> more integrated approach.
>
> Should we make contact with these people to see if they're interested in
> adopting GLUE as a case-study?  It might prove useful if we provide an RDF
> binding for GLUE.

The early drafts of glue2 contained a statement that we wanted to
provide RDF binding as well. That sentence has been removed since we had
no time to pursue that directions. But i think we should come back to
this idea once we have a matured specification and yes, the
RDF/Grimoires people should also be contacted.

cheers,
Balazs