[glue-wg] GLUE 2.0 Specification - draft 41 - Working Group Last Call

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Thu May 15 10:50:44 CDT 2008

Hi Balazs,

Thanks for the feedback.

On Thursday 15 May 2008 14:45:46 Balazs Konya wrote:
> > General: OtherInfo attribute vs. Extension entity association. Do you
> > need both? When to use which? You probably though of this already.

This one stumpted me for a bit.  I believe the distinction is valid, but could
(perhaps) be better explained.

My understanding is the Extension object is to allow Glue to represent
completely new objects that cannot be expressed as any of the existing
objects.  The OtherInfo is for addition additional information to objects
that can be expressed within Glue.

At the risk of opening a can-o-worms, suppose a grid wants to represent actual
storage hardware at a site (actual disks and tape libraries).  They could do
this by instantiating Extension objects (modelled after how CIM schema does
this, for example), one for each disk and one for each tape-library.

To indicate the hardware relationship to StorageResources, they could add
OtherInfo attributes to the StorageResource that provides the link(s).

HTH,

Paul.