[glue-wg] v1.3 documentation, please!

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Fri May 9 06:51:47 CDT 2008

Hi Paul et Al.

for the context of discussion about GLUE 1.3, at the time of closing the
old GLUE list it was agreed that this list should be the place for both
GLUE 1.x and GLUE 2.0:

http://acs.lbl.gov/pipermail/glue-schema/2007-February/000168.html

if this is not anymore the wish, we should create a different list.

Paul Millar wrote:
>>   There are some CNAF notes[3] [...]
>>> [3]	http://glueschema.forge.cnaf.infn.it/SpecV13/LDAP
>> Persoanally I think that whole page should be deprecated
>
> Personally, I think the page should be deleted.  It contains incorrect
> information and (apparently) isn't being maintained (sorry Sergio, that's how
> it looks.)

the state of the page reflects the last time when the activity on GLUE
1.3 stopped as regards discussing schema and LDAP rendering. The
tentative restyling of the LDAP DIT was experimental. Later, EGEE
decided to maintain the old DIT for easier deployment and made the
implementation/deployment.

We should decide:

1. email list to discuss GLUE 1.3 issue

2. if the list is this one, then we could decide to move the GLUE 1.3
content to OGF GLUE WG wiki and I can close the
glueschema.forge.cnaf.infn.it wiki;

another option is:

different list and update glueschema.forge.cnaf.infn.it wiki

Cheers, Sergio

> However, as a proposal, I feel this WG should have an authoritative document
> (which could be a wiki page) that describes GLUE/LDAP for v1.3 GLUE.  This
> document should refer the reader to the LDAP-Schema in CVS, but is should
> contain the extra "additional" information, like how to construct a valid
> GlueChunkKey, where they might be necessary, etc.
>
>> [...] Most of the other things are in the schema document anyway -
>
> Most things are, but the GlueChunkKey (as one example) isn't.  There may be
> other information that is LDAP-specific but not captured by the validation
> tests (LDAP Schema).
>
>> specifically, the old GlueService URI and URL attributes have been removed
>> from my service publisher, which is just in the process of being released,
>> and the CE renaming of CPUs to Slots is true but we still publish CPUs as
>> well.
>
> Yes, but these are EGEE/WLCG issues, right?
>
> [As an aside: does EGEE/WLCG document that GlueService -URI / -URL are no
> longer required?  Is there anyway of being notification when these
> requirements change?]
>
>> The mds-vo-name part varies depending on where you query: = resource at
>> [...]
>
> Ta!
>
>> As for the proposal, it suggests that all space tokens of a given type
>> should be merged into a single SA, but personally I still think that we
>> should publish one SA per token - this is e.g. how Jens' castor provider
>> works and I find it extremely useful to keep track of free and used
>> space.
>
> Again, I guess this is a EGEE/WLCG issue; not that it isn't interesting, but
> I'm trying to limit myself to just OGF-GLUE-WG issues.
>
>> However, we should discuss this more offline as this is not an
>> OGF/Glue 2 issue.
>
> Agreed.  Which forum within EGEE (or WLCG) discusses its adoption of GLUE?
>
>>> [How to publish to GIP]
>> Well, it's LDIF conforming to the 1.3 schema, basically what you get
>> from ldapsearch. As above, info providers need to publish their objects
>> with DNs ending "mds-vo-name=resource,o=grid".
>
> Aye, so "any old" LDAP isn't sufficient, it must be child objects under
> the "mds-vo-name=resource,o=grid" object.
>
>> It may also be worth
>> pointing out that you can publish in two different ways: info providers
>> publish entire objects, whereas gip plugins just publish the changes
>> relative to a static file created by YAIM.
>
> OK.
>
>> Laurence will no doubt say more, but this is the wiki page:
>>
>> https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki//bin/view/EGEE/InformationSystem
>
> Thanks!  That page helps greatly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

Sergio Andreozzi
INFN-CNAF,                    Tel: +39 051 609 2860
Viale Berti Pichat, 6/2       Fax: +39 051 609 2746
40126 Bologna (Italy)         Web: http://www.cnaf.infn.it/~andreozzi