[glue-wg] Storage Sample in Glue 2.0

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Fri May 9 05:46:08 CDT 2008

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
> [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Riccardo Zappi said:
> Unfortunately, I have some difficulties to represents the
> Data Store and the Storage Resource as you have defined into Glue
Schema.

I'm not sure if anyone replied to this mail, although we discussed it in
the F2F meeting ...

> I imagine one StorageResource per each file system created on GPFS.

I think this is the basic point: you don't have one Resource per file
system, you have one per instance of gpfs. In your case I think you have
two instances of gpfs with different version numbers, so you would have
two Resources. Each of those has one Datastore, representing all the
disks managed by each gpfs instance.

> In any case, heterogeneous disk devices
> could compose each volume... and then DataStore description appears
> incorrect.

For the Datastore, "homogeneous" is at a fairly high level - at the
simplest just disk vs tape. Detailed differences between types of disk
don't matter, unless they are visible at the Share level - for example
if you have RAID 0 disks implementing Replica RetentionPolicy spaces and
RAID 6 implementing Output RP.

> Are you sure that Storage Service administrator knows every
> details of underlying storage system? Moreover, if the admin knows,
are you sure
> that he wants describe all these details?

No! But they should know whether the storage is disk or tape (or dvd
...), and they should know what their management software is (gpfs,
castor, ...). That's really all we're trying to publish here.