[glue-wg] NAREGI requirements (was Re: nordugrid feedback)

Yuji Saeki ysaeki at grid.nii.ac.jp
Wed Mar 19 02:01:39 CDT 2008

Hi,

> > (2)  Job monitoring:
> > When an application program, which consists of multiple components, starts to execute
> > on computer systems belonging to multiple sites in NAREGI environment, each of the
> > components has to get information about the systems where other components run
> > to transfer data among them.
> >
> this is recorded in the following tracker:
> http://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6161
> the use case is not enough clear to us. If we understand correctly, you
> consider the fact that a set of interrelated tasks (e.g., workflow) run
> in different computing services.

Yes, it is a use case about communication among co-allocated tasks
executed with resource reservation.

> What are the required information that you need to discover in order to
> perform the data transfer among them?

The properties we need are
  global job id, VO name,
  application name(, executable) and
  URL of communication buffer
  (list of host names and directory paths where a task puts files for another tasks).

For example in the XML format,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Reservation xmlns="http://www.naregi.org/infoservice/namespaces/sbc">
<Job>
<GlobalJobId>34fcb207-0814-4e9e-8cc5-7ec3ed49a05a</GlobalJobId>
<SubmittingUserName>/C=JP/O=National Research Grid Initiative/OU=CGRD/CN=XXX
YYY</SubmittingUserName>
<VOAttributeName>vo0</VOAttributeName>
<JobType>MPI</JobType>
<Executable>./bin/mode</Executable>
</Job>
<Site>
<TargetHost>pbg1044.naregi.org</TargetHost>
<IMPIClientId>-1</IMPIClientId>
<SitesCoallocated>3</SitesCoallocated>
</Site>
<Node>
<HostName>pbg1045.naregi.org</HostName>
<HostName>pbg1046.naregi.org</HostName>
<HostName>pbg1047.naregi.org</HostName>
<HostName>pbg1048.naregi.org</HostName>
</Node>
<Extend>
<SynchronousConnection>
<Connection protocol="GRID">MD GA</Connection>
<Connection protocol="GRID">GA MO</Connection>
<Connection protocol="GRID">MO GB</Connection>
<Connection protocol="GRID">GB MD</Connection>
<Buffer appname="MD" executable="mode">MDMO_NII_beta2/work/sbc</Buffer>
<Buffer appname="GA" executable="ga">MDMO_NII_beta2/work/sbc</Buffer>
<Buffer appname="MO" executable="mo">MDMO_NII_beta2/work/sbc</Buffer>
<Buffer appname="GB" executable="gb">MDMO_NII_beta2/work/sbc</Buffer>
</SynchronousConnection>
</Extend>
</Reservation>

We deal with a part of them as an extention in our schema as observed above
because such an application is infrequent even in NAREGI.

Yuji