[glue-wg] XSD aligned to draft 27

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Thu Mar 13 08:51:49 CDT 2008

Hi Sergio,

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 19:48:31 Sergio Andreozzi wrote:
> XSD for GLUE 2.0 - draft 27
> http://forge.cnaf.infn.it/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/glue/xml/schema/GLUE2.
>xsd?rev=1344&root=omii-europe&view=log

From a quick look, I spotted that the XSD defines a namespace:
	xmlns:glue="http://GLUE2"

To my mind, this is broken: it should be a URI with FQDN + path.  The path
should include the year and/or a version number, allowing some version
control.

On a related note, we were going to discuss the XML binding with regard to
primary documents; but, I don't believe this discussion took place.
Discussing GLUE-2.0 "abstract" (independent of any binding) has taken
priority.

My concern was that, with the current binding, all valid documents are
required to express the complete GLUE hierarchy.  The current XSD expresses
this by requiring documents have a "Grid" top-level element to be valid.

This requirement does not come from XML and XSD.  Moreover, I believe that, by
GLUE-2.0/XML introducing this requirement,  an unnecessary burden will be
placed on the info-providers.  This will make implementing them harder,
require explicit configuration and so make the process needlessly more
fragile.

It would also prevents the information being published into more than one
GLUE-based information system.

As a specific proposal, I suggest that other elements be allowed as top-level
elements; for example, that a StorageService be a valid top-level element.
The primary document from a StorageService info-provider should have a
StorageService as its top-level element.

i.e., just added:

        <element name="StorageService" type="glue:StorageService_t"/>

after the Grid one, near the beginning of the XSD.

Cheers,

Paul.