[glue-wg] GLUE 2.0 - Executable discussion at OGF22

Gerson Galang gerson.sapac at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:04:13 CST 2008

Daniel has asked me to forward this to the list while he waits for Sergio to
authorize his mailing list subscription request.

=====
I had a meeting with JP this morning after the opening session to
discuss ideas for Executable in ApplicationEnvironment.

Here are some links to background information and some possible ideas.
I would like to discuss this with other group members at one of the
sessions this week. There are 2 sessions on Wed and 1 on Thu, however JP
will not be available for the afternoon session on Wed (which is
scheduled to be 'computing' I think).

Alternatively we could meet Tuesday afternoon?

*Background*

Executable (LocalID, Name,
Parallel)http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.glue-wg/wiki/PhoneMeeting20080116
http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.glue-wg/wiki/GridAustraliaRequirements

More on ParallelType,
NetworkInfohttp://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.glue-wg/wiki/PhoneMeeting20080122Part1Minutes

*Current SPEC 24/2*https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/projects.glue-wg/docman.root.drafts

No ParallelType or NetworkInfo yet.
5.0 Auxiliar Entities
Spelling in title and GLUEntitiy in image need fixing!

This could be used for executable. But since we agree that it is better
to have a setup method (eg. module) then things like InstalledRoot
should not be required either - and we don't want everything as an
Auxiliary Entity! It appears to be 'less supported' and would not have a
properly documented description.
6.7 p21 ApplicationEnvironment

SetupMethod (module or softenv), SetupKey
- only allows ONE!

It would be better to be a Setup entity with method, key attributes. eg:
<Setup method="module" key="blast">

Possibly rename Setup to Handle? This is what Teragrid have used in
their non-GLUE schema. Or some other name?

Allowing multiple entities, the method could then allow a value of
"executable".

This suggested alternative requires extra parsing and is more difficult
to use XPath to extract modules for software:
<Setup>module:blast</Setup>

JP also suggested that things like parallel could be supported in a
SoftwareAttributes (or similarly named) entity. But it is hard to decide
what should be 'generic' and what should just be part of the SPEC to
start with. Maybe best to keep as already discussed - but make sure it
is put in the SPEC.

Daniel.