[glue-wg] Suggestion for splitting the StorageShare.

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Mon Apr 28 11:27:43 CDT 2008

Hi Stephen, others..

On Monday 28 April 2008 17:47:20 Burke, S (Stephen) wrote:
> glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
>
> > [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Maarten Litmaath said:
> > Note the asymmetry!  The ACLs for the name space need not be equal to
> > those of the SRM v2.2 space.  Putting both kinds of ACLs into a single
> > StorageShare object implies they _must_ have different schemes.
>
> If I've understood what you're saying I don't think the namespace ACLs
> should be in GLUE at all, the granularity is too fine

Moreover, the ACL semantics will (in general) be filesystem-specific.  To
illustrate this, consider:
	what is the default policy for user X (or, users undertaking role Y) if they
have no listed ACE for operation Z (default allow or default deny)?

	What are the allowed ACE operation types (how do I distinguish between an SE
that doesn't understand "restage" operations vs a user that happens not to
have an ACE for "restage", so the default policy should apply)?

	If conflicting ACEs are available (user X, under role Y is attempting
operation Z; X is deny doing Z, Y is allowed to do Z), what is the policy?
(default deny, default allow, use default policy for operation Z, ...)

	Should the ACL be interpreted as an ordered list (first match wins) or some
other policy (try all "denies" then all "allows" then use default, first
match wins; or, try all "allows" then "denies" then use default, first match
wins; or, ...)?
	...  etc ...

The point isn't what you or I might think of as "correct" behaviour, just that
different people (and different filesystems) will interpret these questions
differently.

Perhaps GLUE can only publish ACLs if it also publishes some identifier that
specifies how to interpret the ACLs.  The identifier namespace could be a URI
(to be general), or simply list the filesystem, although that's sub-optimal
as multiple filesystems might implement the same ACL.

Basically, I don't believe GLUE can publish meaningful ACLs without the schema
becoming sufficiently complex that no one could publish the information
correctly, or correctly interpret the information they receive.

> > StorageShare * --> 1 StorageEnvironment
> >
> > Capacity can just stay with StorageShare for simplicity.
> > It will then keep reporting the numbers as experienced by the
> > FQANs mentioned in the ACL entries.
>
> Well, if we do it properly I think we'd need to split the Capacity into
> pieces - the Used space would be per VO (or FQAN), but the Total and
> Free space are by definition shared and hence should be in the Share
> (Reserved may need more thought).

Yup, sure.  This comes from the subclassing of the parent StorageCapacity
(iirc) class.  If we revert StorageShare back to (something like) an SRM
Space, then a StorageShareCapacity can have different attributes to a
Storage<VOView>Capacity, whilst both being a similar kind of "thing" (both
are subclasses of StorageCapacity).

[Queue continued discussion on whether StorageCapacity is a "thing" ;-]

Just my 2c worth.

Paul.