[glue-wg] Some doubts

Riccardo Zappi riccardo.zappi at cnaf.infn.it
Fri Apr 18 11:02:46 CDT 2008

Hi Stephen,

Burke, S (Stephen) wrote:
> Riccardo Zappi [mailto:riccardo.zappi at cnaf.infn.it] said:
>> I know only that LHCb prefers the use of FILE
>> protocol rather than RFIO protocol, or in other words, LHCb
>> users would
>> like prevent the use of RFIO protocol even if it is supported.
>
> I still don't see the problem. Advertising rfio just says that it's
> available, it doesn't force anyone to use it. If lhcb have coded their
> application in a way where it does force them to use it then that is a
> bug in their code.

Yes, I agree with you.
My example doesn't report a real problem, but perhaps only a excessive
end-user apprehension caused by some bad past experience or by something
else.

I can imagine jobs written to make use of an external libraries to
interact with IS and SRM. That libraries could retrieve the _unordered_
set of supported protocols from IS. The result set contains all the
protocols supported by the Storage Service. Then the library builds the
SRM request using the _unordered_ protocol list returned by IS query.

Therefore, in theory, RFIO could be before to FILE protocol because a
specific order is not guaranteed by IS.

If my speculation is correct, then the solutions could be:

1) Modify external library used by jobs adding the possibility to
specify the order in protocol preferences.

  or/and

2) make possible to specify which protocols are available for each
"StorageShare"

I think that both solutions could be implemented.

But, if you think solution 2) inopportune, it is the same. We can
suggest strongest tests on services providing the protocols to make end
users less worried.

Bye,
Riccardo

> Stephen

Riccardo Zappi

Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare - CNAF
Viale Berti Pichat, 6/2,  40127 BOLOGNA - ITALY
Phone:  +39-051-609-2868                Fax:    +39-051-609-2746
e-mail: riccardo.zappi at cnaf.infn.it