[glue-wg] Some doubts

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 11:26:06 CDT 2008

Riccardo Zappi [mailto:riccardo.zappi at cnaf.infn.it] said:
> Other supported VOs want RFIO protocol available in addition
> to FILE and
> GSIFTP protocols. If we publish RFIO, FILE, and GSIFTP for StoRM
> service, then all LHCb jobs will fail because they try to use RFIO
> protocol.

I don't think I understand this - if lhcb don't want to use rfio why
will the jobs try to use it? The information system only advertises that
a protocol is available, the jobs are then free to use what they want -
in fact I think you can give a list of protocols to the SRM in order of
preference, so they could try file first and then rfio. Anyway, if jobs
would fail with rfio they shouldn't try it at all.

> Suppose the
> scenario where LHCb wants RFIO protocol available for one
> StorageShare,
> while for another one LHCb wants only FILE protocol. How can we
> represent this situation with ACL?

This isn't really an ACL, it's VO policy - I would say that it's up to
lhcb jobs to know which protocol to use (e.g. using the space token
description to choose), I don't see why it should be done on the site
side.

> In this case, we could define the StorageShare on
> StorageResource.. or not?

In the current schema draft I think the proposal is that the Datastore
has relations to both Share and Resource, but there is no explicit link
between Share and Resource.