[glue-wg] Some doubts

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 10:06:28 CDT 2008

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
> [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Riccardo Zappi said:
> A) StoRM can manage, at the same time, different VOs. Any VO
> could use a different set of access protocol.

The problem here is that the available protocols could potentially
depend on many different things - VO, share, hardware, network
connections, ... and it would be too complicated to allow all possible
combinations. Do you think that this kind of thing is really likely in
practice? If so, how would you expect it to work? In terms of the schema
the easiest thing to represent is probably an ACL (AccessPolicy) on the
protocol, so if it would really be a per-VO setting I would prefer to do
that rather than having a link between protocol and Share - but still
only if we expect it to happen in real deployments.

> B) DataStore entity should model, in a synthetic and simple form, the
> concept of the storage hardware (If I've understood well!).
> I imagine a cluster file system (GPFS for example) installed on a
> storage area network. In this context, the DataStore is the
> storage area
> network plus GPFS. How can define DataStore to include the GPFS
> characteristics? Using OtherInfo property? Perhaps we can add another
> property to define the software managing the hardware.

This is exactly the role of the Resource - maybe the name isn't very
good but the Resource is supposed to represent the management software.
So you would have a Resource for GPFS, with an associated Datastore to
represent the disk servers.