[glue-wg] How to kill Glue! WRT OGF

Owen Synge owen.synge at desy.de
Tue Apr 15 10:19:53 CDT 2008

Dear all,

The best way to destroy Glue, is to use poorly defined objects, and
untested entities relations, that are proprietary to a single or small
and legacy subset of Grids, particularly with untested ideas. This will
invalidate the purpose of taking your Grid specific views to the OGF.

Can I please request that members of Glue trail their  ideas on their
own grids. I fear some members are unwilling to separate the context of
their grids from the greater grid community.

Examples include, binding a minority standard (SRM 2.2 and only its
static spaces) into the Glue schema when numerous other examples
exist such as GPFS, and NFS v4. Binding a minority authentication
mechanism (VOMS) when SAML and numerous other standards are more
commonly used. This may be forgivable if the people involved had tested
these representations, I know from the threads on the mailing list that
these ideas are new.

I wish to complement Laurence on trying to stop the destruction of his
work on the Glue standard, but this continued tight coupling to
minority Grid services (VOMS/SRM 2.2) will lead to a legacy standard
that all future grids should abandon in favour of something workable
for them, if you have not even tested your ideas you should not be
proposing them as a standard, that's your Grid's research work and not
for OGF, which is for consolidating the Engineering objectives of
interoperability. Please consider rolling out these suggestions on your
own information systems AND get them WORKING before adding them to a
inter grid standard.

Regards

Owen Synge

I do not represent Dcache or DESY in my above objections, just my
education as an engineer. Engineering is often about rejecting use
cases so more important objectives can be achieved.