[glue-wg] DENY rules

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 16:40:07 CDT 2008

Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> That said, I can't find it stated anywhere that the VOMS URI
> schema *is* a FQAN, this is merely what I remember it being.

Well, to return to the Alice in Wonderland theme, "'When I use a word,'
Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I
choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'" In the 1.3 schema the
definition says this:

"The type ACBR t is defined as follows: <PREFIX>:<SNC>. Both <PREFIX>
and <SNC> are strings containing no colons and no whitespace. Three
types of prefix are already reserved:
VOMS to express a VOMS fully qualified attribute name
..."

but I don't see why we can't redefine it if we want as long as the
definition is clear. Anyway the EGEE proposal
https://edms.cern.ch/document/887174/1 already redefines it somewhat by
supporting wildcards (recommendation 2).

> Sorry, I'm not sufficiently familiar with the "*" usage.

As above - it isn't entirely surprising that you'd be unfamiliar with it
since the document is only a couple of months old, and as far as I know
hasn't been implemented by anyone yet ...

> Yes, sounds good.  If I were to suggest something it would be
> to extend the name-space (i.e., not use "VOMS" for the URI with the
EXCEPT
> statement)

Well, this whole thing was just a suggestion anyway - the request to
suport DENY comes from Nordugrid and Balazs was suggesting a more
generic format. However, it isn't especially obvious to me that a
different namespace would be better; if you have a parser that can deal
with such constructs it would seem a bit odd to have two different
schemes when one is a special case of the other, i.e. a rule without any
"except" clauses. It would be a bit like saying that a URL with a clause
after a ? would need a different scheme to http:.

> Although, defining "FQAN predicates" schema probably isn't
> part of what GLUE should be up to.

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it :)