[glue-wg] DENY rules

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Mon Apr 14 15:36:03 CDT 2008

Hi Stephen,

On Monday 14 April 2008 21:57:52 Burke, S (Stephen) wrote:
> Paul Millar [mailto:paul.millar at desy.de] said:
> > > VOMS:/atlas/*:EXCEPT:/atlas/higgs
>
> > What you describe is an invalid FQAN.
>
> In what sense? Obviously the entire string
> (/atlas/*:EXCEPT:/atlas/higgs) is not an FQAN

Yes, this is the first point: the complete string is not a valid FQAN.
If "VOMS" URI schema means the schema local part is a FQAN, then the example
you posted is invalid.

That said, I can't find it stated anywhere that the VOMS URI schema *is* a
FQAN, this is merely what I remember it being.

> but if that were the format then you would parse it into two pieces first
> (I don't think : is valid in FQANs, although I could be wrong, and you could
> use some other separator).

Yes, but then you're expecting clients to adopt additional parsing semantics,
specifically parse up to the first colon (yes, colon is an illegal character,
as is *) and split the text into two parts and process the second based on
the "EXCEPT:" token.

If VOMS URI means FQAN, you cannot reasonably expect clients to do that.  If
VOMS URI schema *doesn't* mean this, then there's no problem.

> If you mean that /atlas/* isn't a valid FQAN that's true in a strict sense,

Aye.

> but it is valid according to the matching rules now being adopted in EGEE.

Sorry, I'm not sufficiently familiar with the "*" usage.

> If your point is that you need to know which format is being used, the
> suggestion was to have two separate PolicyScheme types, one without DENY or
> equivalent and one with.

Yes, sounds good.  If I were to suggest something it would be to extend the
name-space (i.e., not use "VOMS" for the URI with the EXCEPT statement) and
document the precise format for a "FQAN predicate" (or whatever these are
called).  URI is extensible, so adding a new schema should be relatively
easy.

Although, defining "FQAN predicates" schema probably isn't part of what GLUE
should be up to.

Just my 2c-worth.

Cheers,

Paul.