[glue-wg] Quotas and accounting, leeds to two new VO?

owen.synge at desy.de owen.synge at desy.de
Mon Apr 14 05:04:04 CDT 2008

Dear Steven,

Quota's are not part of LCG/EGEE storage elements, since we have no
experience of quota's in these grids I wonder if you will appreciate
the Glue standard not matching 100% to what is one day implemented.
Unless you have a crystal ball, I would keep away form Quotas in GLue.

As for accounting, since the majority of people involved in Glue seem
want per VO accounting , we should not treat VO's with attributes such
as "worthy" of publishing (HEP) in the Glue standard, just to minimise
the consequences.

If Stevens concern is warranted, maybe we should have add a special VO
concept (a bit like GridPP) for this, to avoid the consequence of
"large amount of information being published many times  purely to
convey one attribute (UsedSize) which varies."  which is in effect all
supported VO's which are not dedicate space. We should possibly have a
second VO concept for publishing VO's like Biomed which are not
prepared to acknowledge their resource usage, and prefigure to keep
their list of services centrally managed.

That's my opinion, we need one maybe two more VO's one for non published
resources, used by security conscious VO's (eg biomed), and a potential
second one to allow accounting, for shared resources.

As you can see this "Requirement" for accounting in GLue makes for
complications almost tripling the entities for Glue Storage and now
adding 2 new VO's, please tell me if you have a simpler resolution.

Owen

My opinions, are mine and may or may not be shared with dcache, or of
my employer desy.