[glue-wg] Quotas and accounting

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 11 11:17:14 CDT 2008

Hi,

Expanding on a couple of the things from today's meeting ... on quotas
my feeling is that we should just ignore them for the time being. We
currently have no quota system anyway, and to represent one we would be
likely to need some dedicated attributes/objects, I don't think we
should try to force it in to existing things, e.g. restricting the
FreeSize. Apart from anything else the quotas could well operate at a
different level from the MappingPolicy, e.g. maybe that just says
VO:atlas but the quotas are implemented per group, or even per user.
Also quotas are often over-allocated so you lose the normalisation.

  On accounting, I think we should be careful that it isn't a main
objective for Glue, and we can't possibly hope to do detailed
accounting. However, on the specific question of publishing a per-VO
UsedSize for Shares which are shared between VOs it does seem like
something we should try to meet. Personally I'm not entirely convinced
that the right way to go is to publish shared Shares multiple times - it
results in a large amount of information being published many times
purely to convey one attribute (UsedSize) which varies. However, I'll
wait to have a look at the updated draft and then see if I think there's
a simple alternative - I agree that technically the proposal should work
as long as you can tell which Shares are shared.