[glue-wg] Case sensitivity

Felix Nikolaus Ehm Felix.Ehm at cern.ch
Tue Oct 30 16:42:55 CDT 2007

Hi Stephen,

Good point.
In my opinion strings should be defined in the schema as case sensitive.

If I think about a String being used as a (or part of a) key in a
relational DB it comes to my mind that most relational
DB Systems ARE case sensitive. Now, if it happens to be that two entries
would have the same string as key ('atlas' and 'atlas') the DB would
refuse the second entry.
Whereas it would be possible if they would have been defined as 'atlas'
and 'ATLAS' (or 'Atlas').

This is just a simple example. Generally, I think that case sensivity
gives more opportunities to define values.

Of course it is application specific. But applications using insensitive
strings are not affected if they get a case sensitive string (not the
other way round).

Felix