[glue-wg] publishing srb information on glue

Jensen, J (Jens) j.jensen at rl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 25 03:02:50 CDT 2007

Shunde Zhang wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I am new to glue schema. May I ask if I can publish SRB information
 > with GLUE
 > schema? Since the examples I saw are all gridftp. thanks a lot.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Shunde.

Hi Shunde.

For my 0.02, the answer is yes, sort of. I have actually looked into
this very problem, although I haven't spent much time on it yet.  I am
not an SRB expert myself though, but I am working with people who are.

The trick is, unsurprisingly, to pretend that SRB is a StorageElement,
and I aim to come up with a recipe for doing that - provided we can make
it work with GridPP/EGEE resources - if we can't, why bother?  The main
difficulty that I can think of is that many users have personal
directories (er, collections) in SRB and it is not straightforward to
make automated tools pick up the path from GLUE unless an SA is
published for each person or something weird like that.

So the real question is what you aim to achieve with it.  SRB has its
own control and data transfer protocols.  To achieve interoperability
you need a standard protocol like the gridftp interface developed by
Argonne (I believe) which you can then publish as a data transfer protocol.

The SRB world itself does not use GLUE - at least none of the SRB
communities I know and work with.  The UK National Grid Service for
example has SRB resources and uses GLUE, but the GLUE is not used to
publish the SRBs, they are set up independently via user's MdasEnv files.

Hope this helps a bit.  If you want to collaborate or do something
specific feel free to contact me.

Regards,
			--jens

--