[glue-wg] GLUE2.0's Computing Element

Gerson Galang gerson.sapac at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 23:16:25 CDT 2007

Hi Laurence,

On 6/5/07, Laurence Field <Laurence.Field at cern.ch> wrote:

> > What you have desribed above might not work for us.  The GRAM does not
> > have the restriction of only being able to submit (interface) to one
> > batch system (PBS server for our case). Even if we have more than one
> > cluster at our site, we can easily pick which queue and cluster we
> > want to run our job on by having the queue element specified in the
> RSL..
> Doesn't this just depend on how you have written your job managers for
> GRAM?

APAC Grid sites did not want to install Globus on the head nodes of their
clusters so each site provided a gateway box (a host running Globus) as the
interface of their clusters to the grid. A gateway box only has one PBS
jobmanager which allows submission of PBS jobs to any of the clusters/pbs
servers sitting behind it. I don't think we should stick with the old Globus
way of thinking of running the grid middleware on the head/management node
of the cluster in implementing the GLUE schema. GLUE should be flexible  and
allow grid sites like ours (which only have one grid interface for a number
of clusters they are managing) to represent our setup in the schema.

So to answer your question, yes, it is dependent on how we've written our
jobmanagers for the GRAM but that doesn't mean that GLUE should be
restricted to only allowing sites

Can you guys explain why you think the Share should be directly linked to
the ComputingService?

Thanks,
Gerson