[glue-wg] New draft of GLUE 2.0 Specification

Gerson Galang gerson.sapac at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 20:07:44 CDT 2007

Thanks for clearing it up Sergio,

> > and the ComputingElement is
> > an abstraction of the Batch System,
>
> in the new version, the batch system is associated to the computing
> resource. I realize that we have to clean up the properties list (moving
> the batch system specific from computing element to computing resource).

Having the batch system properties available in the new CE definition made
me think that the CE is still represents a batch system. That's why made a
comment about it again.

> then there should be a direct >
> > association between the ComputingShare and the ComputingElement. Having
> > the ComputingShare linked to the ComputingService will introduce a
> > number of replicated instances of the same ComputingShare on all the
> > ComputingServices which is not really necessary. Attached is the diagram
> > again to refresh your memory on what I think it should look like.
> > Anyway, just my 2 cents..
>
> I think the relationship between a share and the service is needed
> because you can expose a certain share via a certain service, while
> another share with another service. You should be able to know which
> share for which resource is accessible via a certain service interface.

The reason why I also suggested that the share be a part of (or directly
linked to) the entity which represents the batch system (this used to be the
ComputingElement but  now the ComputingResource) is due to the fact that a
batch system won't really be a batch system if it doesn't define/manage any
queues. After giving your explanation above, it makes sense now why you have
the link between the CE and the ComputingService. I'm interested to see how
all of these will be implemented in XML Schema.

Cheers,
Gerson