[gir-wg] New GIR experimental draft available

Gregory Newby newby at arsc.edu
Mon Nov 28 00:30:48 CST 2005

Thanks to Yangwoo Kim of Dongguk University for this new document,
which we plan to enter in to the GGF document series in the
Experimental category, as a description of core functionality for
GIR.  This document draft will be discussed at our Grid Information
Retrieval Working Group (GIR-WG) meeting at GGF16 in Athens, Greece
(more info: http://www.ggf.org).

Title: Grid Information Retrieval System for Dynamically
Reconfigurable Virtual Organization

Abstract: Under foundational precepts of Grid computing (i.e.,
FOSTER), two important requirements that all Grid application
systems should satisfy are to accommodate the dynamic nature of
Virtual Organizations (VOs), and to enforce different levels of
security among different VOs.  For the research described in this
document, we developed two different use-case scenarios addressing
the two requirements, and then showed how the requirements can be
met by implementing a Grid information retrieval (GIR) system
prototype. The dynamic nature of VO applies not only to increasing
and decreasing number of users, but also to the dynamically changing
requirement of computing power among the different subcomponents
that consist in overall system configuration.  This implies that a
request to increase computing power by a certain subcomponent can be
satisfied by other idling subcomponents taking advantage of overall
system flexibility.
  This document describes how we implemented a Grid IR system using
VO and security mechanisms provided by Globus toolkit 3.0, and shows
how GIR system scalability and security can be improved for dynamic
VOs.  In order to manage different VOs, we implemented VO management
service (VOMS), and registered it to Globus as an additional
service.

To download the draft, navigate to the GIR-WG area of
http://forge.gridforum.org in the Documents / Drafts area.  Here's a
direct link:

  https://forge.gridforum.org/docman2/ViewCategory.php?group_id=64&category_id=1190

These documents seem to require logging into GridForge, even though
the documents are supposed to be publicly available.  If you don't
have a GridForge login, I could email you the document.  I'll
probably get it up at www.gir-wg.org too, before GGF16.
  -- Greg (GIR-WG co-chair)