[gir-wg] A couple of questions about GIR

Gregory Newby newby at arsc.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:05:15 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 04:42:25PM -0000, Ye Zhang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am undertaking PhD research into developing a Grid Search Engine to implement GIR. This is my fist year, I have a couple of questions about GIR.
>
> Do these current Grid Information Services such as Globus MDS4, Legion, and Condor implement kinds of functions of GIR ? My reason is that these systems all collect information from the Grid nodes and index inforamtion and also provide information query, if not ,why?

Thanks for your note.  It will be great to have your research
to develop a search engine, and I'd be happy to talk further
with you about it.  You are right that other systems have some
core information retrieval functionality.  At this point, since
GIR is not an actual standard (just "in process" towards
standards formation), there is not any adoption of GIR
in those other systems.  However, we have found that the main
structure is very common, especially the tripartite of
collection manager, query processor and indexing service.

  -- Greg

Dr. Gregory Newby, Chief Scientist (Acting), Arctic Region Supercomputing Ctr
Univ of Alaska Fairbanks-909 Koyukuk Dr-PO Box 756020-Fairbanks-AK 99775-6020
e: newby AT arsc.edu v: 907-450-8663 f: 907-450-8603 w: www.arsc.edu/~newby