[gin-ops] gin ops work

Cindy Zheng zhengc at sdsc.edu
Wed Aug 16 21:49:09 CDT 2006

Dear all,
Below are some gin-ops work done since GGF17.
If your work is not included here, please add.
Thanks,
Cindy

1. Open Science Grid has joined GIN testbed on June 26.
We have completed and verified basic setup on July 11.
The OSG technical support team and AIST application team
have been discussing via email and a chance of face to
face meeting on how to interoperate with OSG. Now, we
all have achieved better understanding of how OSG works
and how Ninf-G and TDDFT work. The decision is to package
all the executables and libraries TDDFT needs and deploy
and run on OSG cluster. Now AIST application team is
working on this and should be able to get the run started
soon.
This is a result of many people's efforts:
Phil Papadoupoulos, Ruth Pordes, Frank Wuerthwein,
Abhishek Singh Rana, Terrence Martin, Yoshio Tanaka,
Yusuke Tanimura, Cindy Zheng.

2. NorduGrid has volunteered to join GIN testbed on July 11.
We have completed and verified the basic setup the same day.
But, we found that NorduGrid job submission method is very
different from all the grids in GIN testbed so far - it uses
gridftp. AIST and MU application teams, NorduGrid team and
ThaiGrid SCMSWeb development team had a lot of discussions.
We have achieved better understanding on how each side work
and tried to find a way to all interoperate.
As a result, Aleksandr Konstantinov has developed an Ninf-G
Invoke Server for ARC library, which enables Ninf-G RPC via
ARC library (e.g. via GridFTP server). This is a major
accomplishment by NorduGrid.
The AIST application team and NorduGrid support team will
work together to deploy and run TDDFT on NorduGrid.
Another action taking effect as a result of these dicussions
is that SCMSWeb team has add new capabilities in SCMSWeb to
support testing/monitoring grids like NorduGrid, which services
are not all running on one host/ip#. See item 3 for detail
status.
Many people have involved in this:
Oxana Smirnova, Balazs Konya, Aleksandr Konstantinov,
Yoshio Tanaka, Yusuke Tanimura, Colin Enticott, ThaiGrid
SCMSWeb development team and Cindy Zheng.

All the new grids contacts and resources info are documented
http://goc.pragma-grid.net/gin/gin-people.html
http://goc.pragma-grid.net/gin/gin-resources.html

3. Hello world - GIN testbed infrastructure testing matrix
has setup on July 11 with SCMSWeb. We currently have 5
clusters from 3 grids being monitored in our GIN testbed.
In addition to job submission testing, we are also testing
and showing the realtime status for globus authentication,
DNS resolution (since globus is very sensive to DNS problems)
and gridftp (both directions). Right now, the testings are
set to hourly. The status is publically available and can
be viewed by clicking the link "GIN Testbed Status" at
http://goc.pragma-grid.net/gin/default.html.
There is a issue with the current version of SCMSWeb testing
and showing the status when a grid is running the tested
services on more than one host/IP#. So, we have removed EGEE
and NorduGrid from the testing matrix for now. Also, note that
the TeraGrid Gridftp failure status is also a result of this
issue.
We have discussed this with ThaiGrid SCMSWeb team. SCMSWeb
team has modified their software to handle this in the next
release and is currently testing the new version.
Many people have involved in this:
ThaiGrid SCMSWeb team, NorduGrid support team and Cindy Zheng.